The National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) is the largest organization of early childhood educators in the United States. NAEYC sets child care and preschool standards of excellence in the areas of safety, classroom environment, learning environment, health, communication, and staff qualifications. Of the more than 80,000 child care centers operating in the United States, only about 8% have earned this accreditation. “By earning accreditation, Schools become leaders in a national effort to raise the quality of early childhood education, and to help give all children a better start.”
Accredited programs have met NAEYC’s 10 standards for high-quality early childhood education. These programs have demonstrated that they provide a safe and healthy environment for children, have teachers who are well-trained, have access to excellent teaching materials, and work with a curriculum that is appropriately challenging and developmentally sound.
NAEYC Accreditation helps parents find the best possible early childhood experience for their children. NAEYC-Accredited programs must:
- Promote positive relationships for all children and adults to encourage each child’s sense of individual worth.
- Implement a curriculum that fosters all areas of child development: cognitive, emotional, language, physical, and social.
- Use developmentally, culturally, and linguistically appropriate and effective teaching approaches.
- Provide ongoing assessments of each child’s learning and development, as well as communicate the child’s progress to the family.
- Promote the nutrition and health of children and protect children and staff from illness and injury.
- Employ and support a teaching staff that has the educational qualifications, knowledge, and professional commitment necessary to promote children’s learning and development and to support families’ diverse interests and needs.
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with each child’s family.
- Establish relationships with and use the resources of the community to support achievement of program goals.
- Provide a safe and healthy physical environment.
- Implement strong personnel, fiscal, and program management policies so that all children, families, and staff have high-quality experiences.
NAEYC Accreditation: No Small Feat
“We’re proud to be accredited by NAEYC, and recognized for our commitment to reaching the highest professional standards,” said Trudy Khodabande, Owner of Kids Care Club. “NAEYC Accreditation lets families in our community know that children in our programs are getting quality care and early learning experiences.” Kids’ Care Club Child Development Centers serve the 4S Ranch, Del Sur, Santa Luz, Rancho Penasquitos, Carmel Mountain, and San Diego communities.”
NAEYC Accreditation requires a long term commitment to meeting strict quality standards. Accredited schools are proud to have achieved this level of quality – thanks to the dedication and hard work of teachers, parents and administrators at these schools. Remember parents – early years are learning years!